Sunday, February 28, 2010

Eres Todopoderoso

Whew, alright.....I'm finally back in one place for awhile! The group got safely back to San Jose on Thursday after a CRAZY full day of traveling from Nicaragua, with about 3 hours spent trying to cross the border! (that's a fun story) And then I was back in my house at about 6 last night after my jaunt into the rainforest with 5 other students. It's nice to finally have a chance to settle down somewhere again, but I loved all of it!

It's kinda hard for me to talk about Nicaragua, or really even describe how much I enjoyed the experience, because there was so much more to it than just enjoying the experience...but I just don't really have the words! :) All I know is that while I was there, once I had left, and even now as more time passes, the thought of never seeing them again just isn't acceptable. I have to go back......and that's about it! :) I should have pictures to share soon!

And the rainforest?! Wow, that's also an experience that can't be described fairly! Sure, I have pictures from that too, but there's way more about touching it, smelling it, feeling it, hearing it, and yes, even tasting it, in addition to seeing it...but those type of pictures don't exist...yet! :) We were totally tourists, being driven around with our cameras clicking and being babysitted by Jonathan our tour guide- but we got to climb trees, jump from trees, swing from tree to tree, and hike among the trees like probably no other tour would :) The business is called Santos Tours, which started out, literally, as a final project for Jonathan and his business partner, Carlos, to finish their college degrees six years ago. It's different for several reasons, but mainly because it's designed specifically to put money back into supporting the local community...we stayed in a local hotel, ate in local restaurants, and followed a local on our hike through the forest; so we were able to interact with real people during our whole trip! They are truly interested in helping the people make a living, not just putting the money back into their pockets! Anyway, I was really impressed, and totally recommend them to anyone who really wants to experience the country of Costa Rica...and for a great price! I'm also interested in taking a group back to do one of the community building projects that they offer.....yeah, these guys are so cool! :)

So here I am, Sunday afternoon, watching the last of the Olympics that I can (the US hockey men are losing to Canada right now). Church this morning was great...it was the first time I was able to actually sing along with ALL of the songs- it's a pretty big deal, let me tell you! I kinda don't feel like a total alien anymore- a lot of the people in the church recognize me now, so we're able to greet each other like I've been there forever....or at least like normal people. :) And the sermon was really good too, which is even more significant because I KNEW it was a good sermon! :) So we're getting there, little by little, but little by little I also realize that it's going to be even harder for me to leave...especially if the chunk of my heart left in Nicaragua is any indication! Two more weeks here, then another backpack excursion, and I have to say goodbye to my first Tica family. Bah, how sad...I can't think about it yet! Watch for more pictures, but that's all for now. Dios les bendiga! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment